The content from this book is taken from Part 1 of the Charles Darwin, Evolution and Tropical Australia MOOC.
This free, open course is offered by Charles Darwin University to provide an introduction to Charles Darwin, the theory of evolution, Alfred Russel Wallace, and an overview of adaptation of tropical organisms in the Northern Territory of Australia. You will experience highly engaging videos and innovative, interactive media. This course won Blackboard’s 2014 Exemplary Course Award and Director’s Choice for Courses with Distinction.
“This course is one of the best MOOC course designs I have seen and should be considered a model for others to follow. The materials are so relevant and engaging that it feels like you are talking with the person.” ~Blackboard Review Panel
Featuring guest appearances by:
- Harvard University’s Professor Janet Browne, Charles Darwin Scholar 2014;
- Professors Peter and Rosemary Grant, Princeton, Charles Darwin Scholars 2016; and
- Professor Daniel Dennett, Tufts University, Charles Darwin Scholar 2018.
This resource explores the life of Charles Darwin, and the significant events that inspired the development of his theory of evolution, including Darwin’s experiences during the journey of the HMS Beagle
Watch the following video for an introduction to what we be covered.
At the end of this book, you should be able to:
- Discuss the life of Charles Darwin and describe how he developed his evolutionary theories
- Discuss the significance of the discoveries made by Charles Darwin during the voyage of the Beagle
- Explain the influence of the intellectual milieu of the times on Darwin’s thinking
In this book, you will:
- Explore the Interactive Timeline of the Early Life of Charles Darwin
- Watch the video by Chris Darwin on The Life and Times of Charles Darwin
- Explore the Interactive Timeline of the Voyage of the Beagle
- Listen as Janet Browne discusses Darwin’s visit to Australia
- Read the excerpts from the Journal of Researches
- Explore the Interactive Timeline of Darwin’s Life After the Voyage
- Read the eBook about the Beagle Voyages and the naming of Port Darwin