A Wallace biography
7 References & further readings
- Quammen, D. 1996. The Song of the Dodo: Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinctions. Scribner, New York.
Part II of this book, entitled ‘The man who knew islands’ provides a very readable account of Wallace, islands and biogeography.
- Wallace, A.R. 1855. On the Law which has regulated the introduction of new species. The Annals and Magazine of Natural History 16: 184-196.
- Wallace, A.R. 1858 On the tendency of varieties to depart indefinitely from the original type. Journal of the Linnean Society 53-62.
- Wallace, A.R. 1869. The Malay Archipelago: The Land of the Orang-utan, and the Bird of Paradise. A Narrative of Travel, with Studies of Man and Nature. Harper & Brothers, New York.
- Wallace, A.R. 1876. The Geographical Distribution of Animals; With a Study of the Relations of Living and Extinct Faunas as Elucidating the Past Changes of the Earth’s Surface. Volume I & II. Hafner, New York.
- Wallace, A.R. 1881. Island Life: or, the Phenomena and Causes of Insular Faunas and Floras, Including a Revision and Attempted Solution of the Problem of Geological Climates. Harper & Brothers, New York.
- Wallace, A.R. 1908. My Life: A Record of Events and Opinions. New edition. Chapman & Hall, London.
Website for further reading if you have an interest in this topic: The Alfred Russel Wallace Website